Wednesday 27 November 2013

Dragging myself kicking and screaming through OSCP

So hi, I am one of those that have signed up for the Penetration Testing with Backtrack Course, which allows one to attempt to pass and exam in the hopes of gaining the OSCP certification…

 

Many try, many fail, many more fail I think… But don’t let that scare you off, I am sure you can Google enough information to defer your enrolment that bit longer.

Putting off and putting off

So I can put my hand up and say I was one of those people. I have put off OSCP for about 6months. I have read so much on what I need to do in order to prepare/be ready/be able to pass OSCP.

I had a massive list:

  • Python scripting
  • Bash scripting (fluent)
  • exploitation knowledge
  • metasploitable unleashed tutorials
  • web app experience
  • network experience
  • Everything theory…

I even looked at other cheaper courses, a cert to help me get  a cert >.<

 

How did I drop the cash and sign up

I had many an excuse to keep putting off the course. The biggest one being that my work had not given approval for it, so I had to pay for it. I did a little chasing for approval, but inside I didn’t push it as much as I could have.

I was lucky enough to attend the only security conference in Australia that deals with ‘hacking’. Yay me!

There i met some cool dudes that are slightly skilled. @troyhunt @TheColonial @justinsteven @radac_ . I have probably missed others, if so and you are reading.. my bad!

2 of those people have the OSCP cert and 1 has done the labs but too lazy to sit the exam.

Any how, the important point is that these guys all give everything a shot, whether it be OSCP, web development, work or running. They eventually convinced me that I will keep putting it off and never actually sign up, unless I actually sign up. They gave tips and tricks while I was at Ruxcon and basically said OSCP is not impossible it just requires the time and attention it deserves, aka not f@cking easy.

If I can  sign up, so can you!

Finally Enrolled

So I enrolled and am starting 1st December, very very soon. I am crapping my pants scared that I will not be able to do it, I guess that means not putting in the time to do it… Oh why can’t I just have the information downloaded into my brain like they did in the Matrix.

I will keep this blog updated with my learning, frustration and love hate relationship with OSCP.

 

Check this blog out to be further scared of OSCP.

http://needsec.com/offensive-security-pwb-oscp-the-offsec-labs-are-no-joke/

 

:) happy hunting

No comments:

Post a Comment